Skip to main content

What is my Curl Type?

Oh, the elusive Curl Type... so complicated, as there are so many ways of explaining. It's truly confusing, but we do our best. And in the end, it does not matter which curl type you have. Just keep them healthy, no matter the texture.

Warning
This can be very confusing to learn about, as there seem to be discrepancies between the curly experts and the websites.

Basically
Curls are divided into three families:
  • Wavy - Type 2
  • Curly - Type 3
  • Kinky-Curly - Type 4
  • Straight hair (with no hope for a curl) is Type 1.
Still looking for the original source



Each curl family is divided into three categories: A, B and C.
A is always on the looser end, and C is on the curlier end. 

So, we have:
Wavy: 2A, 2B,2C
Curly: 3A, 3B, 3C
Kinky-Curly: 4A, 4B, 4C

Credit: Adunni Organics

This doesn't mean that Wavy isn't curly! "Wavy" just distinguishes one type of curl from another on the curl spectrum. Wavy curls resemble an S rather than a coil. Kinky-Curly is the curliest of all. 

You can have more than one curl type on your head at any given time. I have mainly 2C (very wavy) with some 3A (loose curly) I even have some straighter 2A that hang around my face. I call my hair Swavy as the waves make S patterns. 

Personal Experience
When I first learned I had "Wavy" hair, I was dismayed. I spent most of my life trying to deal with curly hair, whether it was to tame it or straighten it; my self confidence; not feeling pretty or attractive, etc.

And then the Curly Girl Method/CGM helped me LOVE my hair.

I had always envisioned "wavy" hair as mainly straight with a slight ripple. Not my temperamental curls. 
BUT.... I learned through the curly community on Instagram that "wavy" curls are STILL CURLS. It's just a descriptor as there are so many varying degrees of curl out there. 

Curl Pattern vs Hair Type
While knowing your curl type can either validate your experience or give you comfort in knowing where on the curl spectrum you stand, it really isn't the most helpful indicator to figure out how to care for your hair. 

Porosity, density, follicle size, protein sensitivity, dew points, etc. are what you need to know and learn over time to get the best results for your hair. Knowing these will lead you to the right products and techniques for your hair type. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Wet Plopping?

The difference between wet plopping and regular plopping is with wet plopping, you plop your wet hair on top of your head in a shower cap instead of a cotton t-shirt, leggings, or micro fiber towel. Why wet plop? It encourages hair hydration It defines curls It reduces frizz ... and more. How do I do it? After you wash and condition, apply your leave in, curl cream and/or stylers to soaking wet hair with praying hands and rope each clump Squish out excess water with your hands Dip your clumps into a shower cap Wrap a towel around your head and the shower cap to keep water from dripping all over you, OR just keep a towel around your shoulders, OR wrap a headband around the shower cap Plop for 10-20 minutes Remove the shower cap, remove excess moisture by squishing with your hands, a microfiber towel or a cotton tshirt (some prefer to regular plop at this stage) I learned about this method from @powerdomi on Instagram - she is the queen of hydration for wavy hair,

What is Shrinkage?

Ok, get George Costanza in the pool out of your head and bear with me. Shrinkage in the curly community is completely different! An in our case, it's a good thing. Shrinkage means that curls hair appears shorter when it's curly as opposed to when it's wet, or stretched out (like when you straighten it). Natrually curly hair looks shorter than it actually is when it's stretched out. Shrinkage = Healthy Hair When your hair absorbs water and dries, your hair will curl, or shrink, into its natural hair pattern. Wet hair appears stretched, because water weighs down the curls. When the water dries, the hair is lighter and bounces up or "shrinks," resulting in shorter looking hair. What Does it Look Like? Shrinkage can be an issue amongst curlies with kinky and/or coily hair (4A, 4B, 4C curls.) 4C natural hair is the most tightly coiled. Wavy hair can also experience shrinkage, though it is less noticeable. But it is a sure sign that your hair is healthy.

What is a Buff?

I have to admit that... this time, a couple of years ago, I had NO idea what a buff was. I had to Google so much to figure out what those crazy curlies of Instagram were yammering on about. But over time, I learned, so I hope this can be of use to you. Basically, a buff is a tube of cloth. What is a buff used for? You can protect curly hair at night (or when you're out and about) by placing your hair in this tube. Because it's tight and stretchy, a buff usually holds itself into place. Buffs are also popular among bikers and hikers to keep air and dirt out of their faces, or keep their necks warm, or to keep sweat out of their eyes. It really has so many uses and protecting hair at night is only one of them. Where can I buy a buff? Costco Amazon Any outdoor store (ie Mountain Equipment Co-op) The sport and outdoor department of most stores Dollar stores  How do I put it on?